Georges Hall, is located 24 kilometres south-west of the Sydney central business district
In 1796, George Bass and Matthew Flinders began an expedition to explore parts of the colony on a small boat called the Tom Thumb. They sailed into Botany Bay and explored the Georges River, 32 kilometers beyond previous expeditions to the area that is now Garrison Point. For their exploration efforts Bass and Flinders were rewarded with 100-acre (0.40 km2) land grants.
Georges Hall was named after the house and farm owned by Lt Colonel George Johnston (1780–1823) called 'Georges Hall'. It was situated beside Prospect Creek, near Henry Lawson Drive. In 1809 it became an administrative centre, where it was used to conduct the census.
Garrison Point obtained its name from the garrison of soldiers that were stationed here to ensure the safety of Lt Colonel Johnston as he conducted a census in the area. The park is now the local focus of annual Australia Day celebrations in the Bankstown area.
Georges Hall has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
- 1a Lionel Street: The Homestead
Garrison Point is located near the junction of Georges River and Prospect Creek. Adjacent to Garrison Point is Lake Gillawarna, an artificial lake that forms an important breeding ground for native birds.
Garrison Point and Lake Gillawarna form the southern part of a larger reserve called Mirambeena Regional Park that extends into the adjacent suburb of Lansvale. A short distance south from Garrison Point is Kentucky Reserve, another recreational park area overlooking the Georges River, adjacent to Henry Lawson Drive.
- Calvary Chapel Christian School
- Georges Hall Public School
- St. Mary's, Queen of Heaven Primary School
- Georges River Grammar school
Places of interest include
- Bankstown Airport – a metropolitan airport
- Dunc Gray Velodrome
- The Reservoir
- Mirambeena Reserve
- Lake Gillawarna - including an island full of Ibis
- The Homestead, Lionel Street. This large, single-storey house was built by David Johnston in 1837. It is now listed on the Register of the National Estate.